Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Art of Chewing Crayons

The purpose of this blog is to document my journey toward becoming an accomplished writer and in the process, share the knowledge I gain, and show how the acquisition of such knowledge changes me as a person.

I have the privilege of being in the company of accomplished, highly talented writers and editors from whom I hope to learn much, and in whose company, I often feel like the kid in the corner chewing crayons while the grown-ups talk.  Being an emergent writer is humbling but also welcome because at least I know what I am and what I am aspiring to become.

The journey I am on is often confusing filled with misinformation, rule exceptions, and art versus craft issues, yet those I am learning from write which such a natural ease that they seem to have been born with the ability to divine words. I watch them sculpt their work with the precision of a plastic surgeon, taking something ordinary and paring it down until it is a living breathing beauty but more than that, they infuse this exquisite creation with depth of meaning far beyond the aesthetic. The resulting sculpture is a gift to the minds and hearts of readers. The ability to conjure such gifts, to write words that cling to the bones and move us beyond whom and where we are, is my ultimate desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment